Back

Does wearable devices really make people look like a cyborg?

It’s a NO! Absolute answer from the perspective of a user who’s addicted to wearable devices. Let’s get back to the story of wearable devices from a general user perspective. When health bands were introduced, it did inspire people to stay more healthy with their daily habits.

When it was designed to suit your looks, the market really made a paradigm shift to start accepting wearable devices. Gradually brands and tech giants like Apple, Samsung, etc started developing innovative devices like the Apple watch, smart bands and other helpful and good looking devices to grab the market.

Revolution

It became revolutionary. Apple watch is not the number one smartwatch right now, Apple watch has become the number one watch in the world, beating giants like Rolex. Every time Apple releases a new version of the Apple watch, customers are mind blown with the technology they introduce.

But it’s definitely not a monopoly, because a number of brands are really innovative and a big number of startups have come to market with intelligent devices that make a lot of sense to the common user. In fact, the cost of these products is so cheap that they dominate the market with a single product.

Health

Well, almost 90% of the wearable devices are focusing on health, whereas the remaining 10% is worried about users wellbeing. No matter what’s the product or whether the company is a tech giant or a startup, the ultimate end goal is to measure the data. Just like we use our senses like touch, smell, vision, etc to perceive the real world, these wearable devices measure particular data points which could perceive something about your health or total well being.

Your heart rate is helpful to predict your stress levels, whereas your heart rate variability is helpful to predict your overall health score. In fact, there are products to measure your breathing pattern from the abdomen part to predict whether you’re focused or not focused. Imagine the product pushing haptic feedback whenever you lose focus.

Too many

There are too many successful and unsuccessful wearable products and startups. Tech giants like Apple is trying to integrate everything into one beautiful looking expensive device which also works as a watch totally makes a difference. The Apple watch is constantly tracking multiple data points to predict your overall well being.

Too many startups and too many wearable products are good because people have different requirements for different reasons. The objective of these startups are not grabbing the entire wearable market, instead, they focus on eating a piece of the pie. Again, the ultimate aim is to measure something that could potentially predict problems and the software could even show up a solution to it.

Cyborg?

Definitely not! Wearable startups or products are not looking forward to making you a cyborg unless you’re one. If you look at the efforts they put, you can easily understand the fact that they are looking forward to building a watch or a band or something like a bracelet which is accepted worldwide and also does an extra job by measuring your health.

Cyborgs are people with mechanical body parts which doesn’t even come into play in the wearable market, but if you wear too many wearable products instead of one, there is no other option than calling you a cyborg (no, not kidding).

About the Author /